We are all living during a potentially traumatic event. Here are 4 skills you can use right now to help you recover and maybe even grow from this experience.
0:00 – What is a psychological trauma?
1:15 – What types of trauma might we experience because of coronavirus?
5:00 – Survival, recovery, and growth after a trauma.
6:30 – Problem solving skills
9:05 – Emotional regulation skills
13:08 – Social support
13:56 – How to cope with grief
15:40 – Resilience versus post-traumatic growth
16:10 – Making meaning
21:14 – Recovery and growth is not a linear process
Special thanks to Elizabeth S., Tyler D., Anna H., Arnt J., Collin P., Evan A., Imran M., Sam D., Ryan L., Sophie Y., Ahmed Y, Israel P., Neuro Transmissions, Eric E., Eve P., Lauren K., BrainCraft, Aaron F., Samuel H., Marisa H.,Tae T., Steve M.,, Bryan T., Nicky C., Samuel A., Anton T., Jennifer C., Shanda W., Saleem H. P., Sri S., Alex N., Denise J., Emily W., Samar, Lars B., Pipitchy, Emily, Troy C., Alexandre V., Jose, Julie, H., Rebecca E., Mariana D. M., Karl S., Cesalie S., Greg M., Christy, BobC, Sam, Lena F. H., Andrey V. M., Sya R., 12tone, Mina K., and Boone G. for making this episode possible! Learn how you can help me make The Psych Show and get exclusive behind the scenes access in return at https://www.Patreon.com/ThePsychShow.
* My mental health during the coronavirus outbreak playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLItaCgXIQkHcMBJsfW2EY_nsbXc_osaLw
* JED Foundation’s I want to help someone who is struggling resource: https://www.jedfoundation.org/i-want-to-help-someone-who-is-struggling/#card=1
* Ellen Forney’s Rock Steady – Brilliant Advice From My Bipolar Life: https://amzn.to/2wZAR37
* Coronavirus pandemic could inflict emotional trauma and PTSD on an unprecedented scale, scientists warn: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-pandemic-could-inflict-long-lasting-emotional-trauma-ptsd.html
* What a trauma and PTSD psychologist tells us about dealing with the coronavirus pandemic: https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/492202-what-a-trauma-and-ptsd-psychologist-tells-us
* Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019: https://www.nctsn.org/resources/parent-caregiver-guide-to-helping-families-cope-with-the-coronavirus-disease-2019
* During a crisis, the people who cope best are those who help others: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/well/mind/coronavirus-resilience-psychology-anxiety-stress-volunteering.html
* Growth after trauma – Why are some people more resilient than others—and can it be taught? https://www.apa.org/monitor/2016/11/growth-trauma
* Transformation After Trauma: https://www.apa.org/research/action/speaking-of-psychology/transformation-trauma
* Why You Should Start a Coronavirus Diary – It’ll help you organize your thoughts during these difficult times, and may help educate future generations: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/smarter-living/why-you-should-start-a-coronavirus-diary.html
Connect with Ali:
Twitter ► http://twitter.com/alimattu
Facebook ► http://www.facebook.com/thepsychshow
Instagram ► http://instagram.com/alimattu
Snapchat ► https://www.snapchat.com/add/alimattu
Patreon ► https://www.patreon.com/thepsychshow
Email ► [email protected]
Website ► http://alimattu.com/
THE PSYCH SHOW! Creating mental health videos that educate, entertain, and empower! Produced, written, and edited by clinical psychologist Ali Mattu, Ph.D. All videos are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute clinical advice.
If you or someone you know needs help immediately, you should take one of the following actions:
– call 9-1-1 in the United States or your country’s emergency number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of…
– call the Lifeline at 1-800-273 TALK (8255) in the United States or a global crisis hotlines: http://www.iasp.info/resources/Crisis…
– text START to 741-741 in the United States or visit http://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline…
– go to your nearest hospital emergency room
The Walk-In Clinic: Changing the Face of Medicine
More and more people are having their health care needs met at a local walk-in clinic. The cost and convenience are altering the medical landscape.
Joint Replacement: A Brief Medical History
Joint replacement is one of the most common surgical procedures in developed countries. The prevalence of mobility-preserving medicine would not be possible without the pioneers of the last two centuries.
What to Know About Getting a Colonoscopy
For those who need a colonoscopy, there can be some concerns about the procedure. The following are some things that can be expected.
Sports Medicine Tips: When To Use Hot And Cold Therapy
When orthopedic injuries occur, it is important to know when it is appropriate to apply hot or cold therapy. Sports medicine professionals can provide patients with the proper times to use each of these therapies.
Why And Where Is Oxygen Therapy Used?
The oxygen therapy is used for managing several acute and chronic health conditions. This therapy is generally used in pre-hospital settings, such as in an ambulance or a hospital setting for managing emergency situations. It is also used at homes of patients with long term health conditions.