Should I major in psychology? Is a psychology degree worth it? Is psychology useless? What can I do with a psychology degree? Can I get a job as a psychology major? I answer each of these questions and help you decide if majoring in psychology is right for you.
Purchase The Psychology Major’s Companion: https://amzn.to/2w0kHWt
Watch Majoring In Psychology: 5 tips every psychology major needs to know: https://youtu.be/A9ZF78o5ORE
0:52 – Why I became a psychology major
2:57 – The problem with majoring in psychology
4:32 – What you get and don’t get out of a psychology major
10:09 – Advice for students who want to get advanced degrees in mental health or psychological science
11:04 – Advice for students who want to go into professional schools (e.g. medical school, dentistry, law school)
12:10 – Advice for people who want to go into a field related to psychology
12:59 – Advice for people who want to start a career after graduating from undergraduate college
15:28 – Book recommendation for psychology majors
Want to talk to Dr. Ali Mattu? Join the call in show by filling out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zsWcpP1u9oulbX3Z7J6r_XTdmI0UPSZVV-TLtzappx0/
Special thanks to Elizabeth S., Tyler D., Anna H., Arnt J., Collin P., Evan A., Imran M., Sam D., Ryan L., Sophie Y., Ahmed Y, Israel P., Neuro Transmissions, Eric E., Eve P., Lauren K., BrainCraft, Aaron F., Samuel H., Marisa H.,Tae T., Steve M.,, Bryan T., Nicky C., Samuel A., Anton T., Jennifer C., Shanda W., Saleem H. P., Sri S., Alex N., Denise J., Emily W., Samar, Lars B., Pipitchy, Emily, Troy C., Alexandre V., Jose, Julie, H., Rebecca E., Mariana D. M., Karl S., Cesalie S., Greg M., Christy, BobC, Sam, Lena F. H., Andrey V. M., and Sya R. for making this episode possible! Learn how you can help me make The Psych Show and get exclusive behind the scenes access in return at https://www.Patreon.com/ThePsychShow.
* Demystifying the psychology major: https://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/psn/2014/01/why-major
* Psi Chi’s best career advice for psychology majors: https://www.psichi.org/page/RES_CareerArticles#.Xj0KFROQGJ8
Preparing for Your Career With a Psychology Degree: https://www.psichi.org/page/162EyeWin12aShapiro#.Xj0LGhOQGJ9
Liberal Arts vs. STEM: The Right Degrees, The Wrong Debate: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2015/06/19/liberal-arts-vs-stem-the-right-degrees-the-wrong-debate/#7dfe6c747bbe
* Are There Too Many Psychology Majors? https://www.cogdop.org/page_attachments/0000/0199/FLA_White_Paper_for_cogop_posting.pdf
* Psychology is more popular than ever: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2017/11/trends-popular
* Mapping the backbone of science: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11192-005-0255-6
* Psychology is a hub science: https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/psychology-is-a-hub-science
* American Psychological Association’s guidelines for the psychology major: https://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/about/undergraduate-major
* Georgetown Center on education and the Workforce: College majors, unemployment, and earnings: https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/hard-times-2013/#full-report
Connect with Ali:
Twitter ► http://twitter.com/alimattu
Facebook ► http://www.facebook.com/thepsychshow
Instagram ► http://instagram.com/alimattu
Snapchat ► https://www.snapchat.com/add/alimattu
Patreon ► https://www.patreon.com/thepsychshow
Email ► [email protected]
Website ► http://alimattu.com/
THE PSYCH SHOW! Creating mental health videos that educate, entertain, and empower! Produced, written, and edited by clinical psychologist Ali Mattu, Ph.D. All videos are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute clinical advice.
If you or someone you know needs help immediately, you should take one of the following actions:
– call 9-1-1 in the United States or your country’s emergency number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of…
– call the Lifeline at 1-800-273 TALK (8255) in the United States or a global crisis hotlines: http://www.iasp.info/resources/Crisis…
– text START to 741-741 in the United States or visit http://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline…
– go to your nearest hospital emergency room
Understanding The Benefits And Challenges Of Physiotherapy
What is physiotherapy in layman understanding? It is a diagnostic treat used in treating injured muscles and joints of the patients; more so, it helps the elderly to repress chances of disability. In this piece of information, we are going to look into benefits as well as challenges inhibiting this exercise.
The 3 Cs of a Healthy Life
If you are ready to focus on losing weight and getting in shape, let’s address the 3 Cs of a healthy life which are Courage, Change, and Choices. An easy way to remember the 3 Cs of a healthy life is with this simple sentence: To develop a healthy life you need to have the courage to change the choices you face. Does that sound like something you’re up for? Let’s dive into each one of these topics to see just what they actually entail so you can have as much success on this often difficult endeavor.
This Reiki Principle And Becoming A Full Time Practitioner
“I earn my living honestly” and “Devote yourself to your work” are two interpretations of the Reiki Principles gifted to us by Mikao Usui. I took them literally and lived as an energy practitioner since. So, how do you do it?
Preparing For An Ostomy Emergency
You never know when you might have an ostomy emergency. Make sure you’re always prepared with these supplies.
Incontinence – What Can You Do?
Incontinence is occurring more and more and is often uncomfortable and embarrassing. However your practitioner can assist and there is much support if you know where to look. Incontinence is the involuntary leaking of urine.